Users of Classifieds.theGazette.com may receive, in limited instances, fraudulent offers for the items they have listed. There is no way to completely prevent fraud from occurring, and as a result awareness is important. Please review our tips below and use your judgment in all interactions. If you think a scam is occurring via Classifieds.theGazette.com, please contact us with as much relevant information about the situation as possible at firstname.lastname@example.org. Forward any suspicious emails to us immediately. We will investigate all submitted reports in an effort to protect our buyers, sellers and users.
Please watch for the following signs of obvious scammers:
1. The phone number listed is incorrect.
2. A buyer or seller says that they are currently out of the county.
3. The buyer offers to pay with a money order or cashier's check for significantly more than the asked for price. Seller asks to have money wired to them or paid via an online service.
4. The buyer or seller explains that a third party or service will pick up or deliver the item.
5. An email inquiry is poorly written, generic, or strange-sounding.
6. The offer is too good to be true.
7. The seller or buyer says that Classifieds.theGazette.com will handle the transaction. Classifieds.theGazette.com is an online vehicle listing service to connect buyers and sellers. All information about a vehicle listing comes from the seller. Classifieds.theGazette.com is never involved in any transaction between a buyer and a seller. Classifieds.theGazette.com is not associated with any online payment company.
8. The seller or buyer says that Classifieds.theGazette.com offers a purchase protection or warranty program. We do not offer any type of purchase protection or warranty program nor do we partner with any third parties to offer such program.
9. Use common sense. Obtain a vehicle history report, know the market value of the vehicle, inspect the car, confirm all contact information, use email smartly, get a detailed receipt when making a purchase and make sure to obtain the title to the vehicle at the time of purchase.
Classifieds.theGazette.com is meant to be a local service. All offers should be considered carefully, especially any offers received from outside of Eastern Iowa and the surrounding areas. Users should feel safe in placing ads, but should use wisdom in offers received from interested parties.